Closure of the Sutton and Cheam Society
As many will know, the Society has been unable to fulfill its
obligations in fielding a full committee inline with its articles. This was
discussed at some length at the Annual General meeting on the 21st
June 2016 and put to the members.
The members reluctantly agreed that the Society had no
option but to close, and a Special General Meeting was arranged on the 26th July 2016, to ratify this decision and agree on the dispersion of the Society’s financial assets in accordance with the Charity Commission’s rules.
The Sutton Library Archivists department have graciously
agreed to archive to Society’s records and any memorabilia which have been gifted, and to hold these in safe keeping.
Thanks must go to all those people over the years since the
start of the Society (1959) who have supported and taken part in the
activities, outings and talks over the years.
The information on this website will be left for a period of
time as it contains useful historical information
Who we are
Founded in 1959, The Sutton and Cheam Society is one of many hundreds of local amenity societies originally registered with the former Civic Trust operating throughout the country.
It aims to stimulate public awareness of, and interest in the local built environment within the area of the old Borough of Sutton and Cheam i.e., Sutton, Belmont, and Cheam and Worcester Park.
It seeks to promote high standards of planning, architecture and urban design in the area and to secure the conservation, protection and enhancement of feature of historic or public interest in the area.
The Society is a member of The London Forum of Amenity and Civic societies set up in 1988 to
work to protect and improve the quality of life in London. It makes representations to The Greater London Authority and Central Government as well as The Mayor of London's office.
What we do
- Monthly meetings are held in the Autumn and winter to discuss local matters of interest and to hear talks on a wide range of topics. Meetings are held at The Friends Meeting House, Cedar Road,Sutton, SM2 5DA.
- Outings to places of interest.
- The monitoring of planning applications,commenting or objecting as appropriate to The London Borough of Sutton Planning Department.
- The study and comment on consultation documents, published by The London Borough of Sutton on planning related matters.
- The Society also presents occasional Design Awards or Commendations to well-designed buildings, extensions and landscape schemes recently completed in the Borough.
- A regular Newsletter is circulated to inform members of progress on matters arising from all of these activities.